Sunday, March 28, 2010

Wait! HOW far is the short loop?!?

Before reading this, know that I have only ridden my distance road bike about 3 times in the last 4 months--all 9-mile rides.  Also keep in mind that the farthest distance I have ridden in 9 years is 25 miles at one time.  I have just been out of shape on the bike.  However, I am on a road to getting in shape!!  Mentally first of course!

The day started off somewhat slowly.  My alarm went off and all I wanted to do was sleep in.  However, I got up and got ready for my bike ride.  I was supposed to meet at the Bike Barn on Bay Area Blvd for 7:30am.  I did.  I went not knowing what to expect and not knowing anyone there.  It turned out to be over 100 people out there getting ready for a great ride on a beautiful morning.

There are different groups for different average speeds.  First are the racers, then the 21-23 mph, the 18-19 mph, and lastly, the cruisers who go 15-16.  The cruisers usually stop for coffee halfway through and just take their time.  The racers and 21-23mph are too fast for me right now.  I decided to go with the 18-19mph group.  I heard there was a short loop and a long loop.  I felt pretty good going with them thinking I would do about 20-25 miles and be done in a little over an hour.  After all, we had a big day planned (looking at homes and visiting with friends).

I was wrong!!  Once we got riding, I asked someone next to me how far the different rides were and he told me the short one was 44 miles and the long was 65ish.  WHAT THE?!?!?!?!!?  What did I get myself into?

It wasn't so bad for the first hour.  After riding about 18 miles, we stopped at a gas station for bathroom breaks and drinks.  Once we got riding again, we were in the middle of this rural town I have never been in before (Alvin).  We were riding through back country and I was just following the man in front of me.  We were riding in two pace lines with about 12 people in each.  The two people leading "peel off" to the right and left once they have pulled the group for a while (the leaders help "carve" the way through the wind while others can draft off of them).  About 25 miles into the ride, I finally made my way to the front and started pulling the group.  Every now and then I looked down at my speedometer to see we were going 19-20 for a while.

Time to take a left turn and time for me to drink some water.  Where were we at this point??  I had no clue.  After the group turned and I dropped back to the end of the line, I put my water bottle back in the cage and--AAHHHH--it fell out!  Everything in me said to leave it and keep riding but I knew we had to have about 20 miles left and I would really need that water. I turned around, stopped my bike, and picked it up, only to look up and see the group was nearly half a mile away from me!!!  I knew I had to ride faster than them to catch them, mainly because if I didn't, I had no idea how to get home from where I was.

After doing about 21 mph by myself, into the wind, after already riding 25 miles at a pace I have not ridden in years, I was beginning to lose hope of catching them.  That hope was killed when they gradually got further and further away from me.  I was beginning to figure out where we were, when.....YES, GOD answered my prayers!!!!  A few of them had to use the rest room so they stopped at a gas station!!  I finally caught up after 4-5 miles of intense riding by myself.

I was able to ride with the group for the last 15 miles or so.  During those last miles, I didn't have normal mirages of water like people do in deserts.  Instead I could taste the succulent flavor of a juicy bacon cheddar burger in my mouth and see images of hot tubs and couches.  All I wanted to do was get off that bike, sit down and relax for a long, long time. All my 200+ lb self had had for breakfast was 2 small muffins and a banana.   By the time I got back to my car, I had ridden 44 miles with over 2 hours logged on the bike that day.  Needless to say, my legs were pretty dang sore.  Amazingly enough, today is not too bad for them.

Overall, it was a great ride.  I think I burned nearly 1800 calories in 2 hours!!!  At least that's what it felt like :)

No comments:

Post a Comment